Cha Shao Bao 叉烧包
Recipe type: Steam Bun
Serves: 4 Servings
Basic steamed pork bun.
- 3 lb Pork Butt or Belly
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 piece red fermented tofu must be red type
- 1 tbsp red fermented tofu juice
- 3-4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine Shao Xing or Fukkien
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp molasses
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 1 tbsp honey
- Take the pork and slice into 2 to 3 inch wide strips.
- Mix all ingredients minus the port into a large mixing bowl and stir vigorously.
- Extract 2 to 3 tbsp sauce and set aside in a container and place in refrigerator.
- Place meat into a gallon sized zip lock bag and pour in bowl of sauce.
- Remove air and seal, place in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500 F.
- Remove meat from bag, be sure to save sauce in bag for basting.
- Place meat on a wire rack over a baking sheet.
- Add enough water so as sauce does not burn on sheet.
- Cook for 25 minutes
- Remove from oven and baste.
- Set temerture to 450 F.
- Baste with sauce from the bag and flip meat over.
- Return to oven for another 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and baste with clean brush and sauce that was set aside.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing and eating.
Serving size: 12oz